Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Negatives and paper

When I was a little girl, probably 5 or 6, I wanted to be a photographer. I would go to my mom's picture drawer and take some of her negatives, grab a piece of paper and a bucket of water and head to the bathroom. After filling the bucket with water I would place the negative and paper in the water, turn off the light and wait.... Every time I turned on the light I was disappointed! I would head to the kitchen thinking something in our house had to make it work. Searching through the cabinets I would grab all sorts of spices and oils. Id go back to the bathroom throw some salt and vinegar (or whatever my find of the day was) in the water and turn the light off... Still never worked. Too bad no one ever told me that you couldn't just throw random things in the water and expect a picture. I also remember carrying around an old film camera that was broken, I would take my imaginary pictures of everything that sparked my interest. Seeing the world for every detail it had.



Now I am 28, and I still don't develop pictures, but I do take them! A few months ago I received my first DSLR, a Nikon D3000, upgraded from a kodak easy share P&S. I couldn't be happier! I am walking around taking in all the details of life again, with or with out my camera in hand. My 5 year old son and I have started going on photography walks together, taking pictures of everything we see that interests us. Its crazy how life gets so busy that it ends up being one big blur, but you put a camera in your hand and suddenly time slows down to a crawl! A bee flies by and instead of ducking and running, I am squinting my eyes to see if I can take in every detail of his patterns and colors before he flies away. So now, I have decided to blog this experience. And through this blog I hope three things happen: First, I hope that I take the time every day to see the beauty around me and capture that either in my mind or on my camera. Also, that other people start to see all the beauty around them as they read this blog. Lastly... of course I hope that I can become a seasoned photographer that can capture a moment for all to see and admire.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Alley! What a GREAT story!! I am so proud of you and your new adventure, you truly have a natural, God give, talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Alley!!!
    Love the photography walk idea, I should do that with Jonah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm excited about your photography adventure! As soon as you move here we will start Nichol-Stitt Photography :)

    ReplyDelete